In this fifth session of DC Advocacy Partners, participants will:
- know what it means to lead a healthy lifestyle.
- improve their understanding of Medicaid and Medicare policies and advocacy.
- learn about the Olmstead Community Integration Plan and DC’s One Community for All.
- learn about healthcare and wellness systems, services, networks and advocacy in DC, including services for individuals with developmental disabilities.
- understand individual responsibilities for wellness and creating a healthy lifestyle for themselves.
- expand their skills for influencing change, both individually and as part of a group.
- increase their ability to plan multi-month projects, write goals and develop action plans and design a presentation for the class graduation.
Daniel Davis, Policy Analyst in the Office on Disability, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Derek Orr, Director for the Office of Disability Rights
When you click on each topic below you’ll be directed to a page with links to useful resources online.
- Medicaid, Medicare and Long Term Care
- Health and Mental Health
- Medications and Durable Medical Equipment
- Dental Care
- Health Care in an Emergency
Watch these videos to see how others are living a healthy life and learn what you can do.
There are 6 resource and activity options in this month’s assignment. For your homework assignment this month, select at least two of these to explore. You can of course select more, but the assignment is to explore and report back on two. For each activity you select, answer the questions on the last page. Please bring your answers to the June meeting. You will need to hand it in to get credit for it.